Now, more than ever, a free, empowered, ready-for-the-future news industry is important to spreading democracy, tolerance, and equality. But the industry is also more imperiled than ever before; fake news, nation-state tampering, and financial challenges have all driven trust in media to an all-time low, and made it harder than ever to tell the important stories that shape the world.
The news industry needs a partner they can trust to help re-energize their businesses, digitally transform to capitalize on the modern media landscape, and pioneer the future of what journalism can be.
That’s where we come in. And we want you to be a part of it.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director of Microsoft’s Modern Journalism program, and playing a key role in the Communications organization, the Media Experience Manager works with reporters, editors-in-chiefs and content creators to help them imagine the next-generation of journalistic experiences. Leveraging the power of data journalism, AI, and Azure, you’ll be the mastermind who:
- Recruits and works directly with media partners to co-design and co-engineer solutions that solve content, collaboration or business challenges, and capitalize on emerging opportunities.
- Plays a key storytelling role, landing those partner stories – and the “story behind the story”- in high-impact ways through exec keynotes, first party platforms, and external press.
- Serves as a spokesperson and thought leader, building comprehensive training and awareness programs that help empower journalists around the world using Microsoft technology.
- Is a key nexus between comms, product marketing, the Microsoft brand team, account management and field sales, working through others and managing broad V-teams to innovate and scale.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- Strategic approach to storytelling. You know the difference between strategy, messaging, and creative execution, and know how to integrate them into a compelling experience that lands great press, delivers meaningful advantages for partners, and drives inspiration and confidence in the news industry. You operate from a place of “I know”, derived from hard data, rather than a place of “I think” that comes from your gut, and you build from the “why”, not just the “what”.
- Player/Coach: You’re equally at home whiteboarding a media experience that brings our portfolio to life with a V-team as you are combing through sales and social data for insights, wiring up demo machines for a keynote, building a Power BI dashboard, or coaching the team on how to be a top-tier Microsoft evangelist. You’re a proactive leader who’s not shy about asking for what you need to deliver, and who’s ready to “do more with less” if things get tight.
- Ability to absorb feedback. You have the flexibility to roll with the punches, the conviction to stand your ground, and the savvy to know what battles are worth engaging. You tackle opportunities with a growth mindset and a learn-it-all approach.
- Outstanding collaboration. You’re a leader who is ready to represent our team across multiple groups like product marketing, integrated marketing, brand, sales and the field, and will be our team’s voice when it comes to driving thought leadership in the news industry.
- Top-notch experiential thinking. You’re fanatical about building full-stack experiences that move the needle with our, and our partners’, audiences. You leverage the latest trends in communications, as well as industry, economic and social data, to make it happen.
- Data-driven and customer-obsessed. You know how to use data to tailor content and experiences to a specific partner or audience – but you also know how to leverage macro-trends and insight to make stories relatable to the masses.
- 7+ years of proven and visible experience in a newsroom, technical communications and/or experiential marketing experience. Experience delivering emergent in-person and digital experiences is a plus.
- A passion for the news and media space and ability to communicate with leaders and creators in this space, in their language. An understanding of the news investigation and delivery process, with experience in a newsroom or background in journalism preferred.
- Passion for the news and media space, with a working knowledge of social media, digital marketing. An understanding of Microsoft’s consumer and commercial portfolio is preferred, with an emphasis on one or more of the following: Power BI/Data visualization, Azure AI, and immersive content technology (livestreaming, Windows Mixed Reality).
- Ability to communicate professionally across teams and levels in ambiguous environments.
- Ability to work under constant deadline pressure and manage multiple projects across multiple teams with grace and flexibility.
- Ability to plan and manage budgets and technical resources, experience building and inspiring teams, and a passion for coaching individuals for success.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.